The Township of Springfield, New Jersey, (population 14,250) is an upscale community known for its cultural, educational, recreational, and civic events.
Springfield's 5.06 square miles is located 23 miles southwest of New York City at the foot of the Watchung Mountains. Settled in the 1700’s, it officially became a township on May 27, 1793.
In 1801, a turnpike road between Elizabethtown Point and the Delaware River charged a toll. Residents built a parallel road, naming it “Shunpike Road”.
The town is most famous for "The Battle of Springfield" in 1780, won by General Nathanial Greene and Colonel Angell at the Rahway River. Colonel Angell and his Rhode Islanders fought five times their numbers to a standstill while the Reverend James Caldwell. “Give Them Watts, Boys”, lived as the Motto of that conflict. Only four houses remained after the Battle: the historic Cannon Ball House (now headquarters of the Springfield Historical Society), the Swaim House, and the Sayre House.
The Springfield, New Jersey map shows its excellent access to Philadelphia, Newark and New York City. Its history has always shown the advantages of its location and it is listed in the Railroad Historical Society Index.
The world famous championship Baltusrol Golf Club is recognized for Environmental Excellence. It is the sixth in New Jersey and the 162nd course in the world to receive the Audubon Certification. Its venerable A.W. Tillinghast design is a classic in the golf world.