Kenilworth, New Jersey (area 2.08 miles) was created as a borough in 1907and named at that time for Sir Walter Scott’s novel. A pre-Revolutionary farming community, Sayre-Shallcross home (built 1710) is Kenilworth’s oldest surviving structure.
In the late 1890's, the New Orange Industrial Association bought land in portions of Cranford and Union and sub-divided them into building lots. Illustrated brochures showing non-existent lakes, an opera house, parks, and yacht clubs, were used for selling purposes. Industries were attracted and Upsala College, then in Brooklyn, was offered free land for its campus.
Thomas Edison conducted research projects here and James Doolittle crashed his plane in Kenilworth on a foggy night of March 14, 1929. Do not miss the Kenilworth Historical Society site with this and many other exciting stories about the history of Kenilworth.
Kenilworth's current population is over 7,500 enthusiastic residents and continues to grow.